Honors Classes to Be Established in Fundamental Sciences
As the new CoHE, we introduced a new project for fundamental science programs, namely physics, chemistry, biology and mathematics. We will establish honors classes in fundamental sciences within the scope of YOK-TEBIP (CoHE Fundamental Science Programs) .
As we have previously explained, we have launched a number of projects focused on the planning and promotion of fundamental science programs in the past two years. Rational quota planning, arrangements within the coordination between relevant institutions for the employment of the graduates of fundamental science programs and projects for scholarships are carried out within this scope. With the new arrangement we made this year, students who were placed in the top three in fundamental science programs in state universities and fulfilled the conditions set out in the OSYS guide started to receive the CoHE Scholarship. The amount of the scholarship is currently 625 TL per month and CoHE will pay it during their period of study for 12 months. As a result of these initiatives, the occupancy rate in fundamental science programs, which was 82.5% in 2014, rose over 99%.
We are realizing a new project to promote and support fundamental science programs. As the new CoHE, we will establish " Honors Classes" in physics, chemistry, mathematics and biology programs within the scope of YOK-TEBIP (CoHE Fundamental Science Programs). Students will receive education in honors classes that have a special curriculum for the first time in the history of Turkish higher education.
This new and innovative approach will contribute greatly to the world of science at every level and improve the knowledge-based development process of Turkey.
Our goal is to ensure that these students become experts in their fields while at the same time become sophisticated individuals and intellectuals. We want to educate bright scientists of the future in this program.
- Students will receive education in classes that do not exceed 30 students.
- We want them to be acquainted with different university cultures while taking courses at Istanbul University. At least 1/3 of the lecturers will be selected from the faculty members of other universities.
- We will implement a special curriculum for students who will be studying in fundamental sciences programs in Honors Classes.
- The language of instruction will be Turkish. However, students will take foreign language courses from foreign and Turkish lecturers starting from the first term. Two lecturers, a foreign lecturer and a Turkish lecturer, will teach English.
- Students will gain experience abroad for certain periods during their period of study.
In connection with this new program, we inform all students who are eligible to receive the CoHE Fundamental Science Scholarship about YOK-TEBIP via telephone, e-mail and letter and invite them to the program. Below are some frequently asked questions about the program.
We hope that YOK-TEBIP will be beneficial to students, Turkish higher education and Turkey.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- When will the courses in YOK-TEBIP start?
The courses in the YOK-TEBIP programs will start in the 2017-2018 academic year.
- Who can apply for YOK-TEBIP?
Students who were placed in the top three in fundamental sciences (physics, chemistry, biology and mathematics) in state universities and fulfilled the conditions set out in the OSYS guide can apply for YOK-TEBIP.
In order to be eligible for the CoHE Fundamental Science Scholarship, students also need to meet the following conditions stated in the OSYS Guide in addition to being placed in the top three of the related program.
1) Student should have written the related program in the first 15 choices.
2) Student should not have graduated from an undergraduate program before.
- How to apply?
Application and placement procedures of the students will be carried out by the Council of Higher Education, taking into consideration the OSYS-2017 exam scores taken by the students for enrolling in these programs. CoHE will continue to receive the applications for YOK-TEBİP along with declarations of intent through email@example.com until September 25, 2017.
- How many students will receive education in the honor classes of YOK-TEBIP?
The maximum quota for each program (Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics) is 30 and a maximum of 120 students can receive education under YOK-TEBIP.
- In which universities will the students who were placed in YOK-TEBIP continue their studies?
Students who were placed in any of these programs will receive their education as special students in the honors classes at Istanbul University.
- Which university will issue the diplomas of the students who were placed in the YOK-TEBİP programs?
They will receive their diplomas from the related programs of the universities where they were placed in. Besides, CoHE and Istanbul University shall issue a document that certifies the graduation of these students from the honors classes. These documents shall also include the statement "This student completed the YOK Fundamental Science Program in the Honors Class."
- What is the language of instruction of YOK-TEBIP and are there any English courses?
The language of instruction is Turkish. Even though the language of instruction is Turkish, students will take foreign language courses starting from the first term. English education will be supported with overseas education and research programs in summer.
- What is different in the curriculum of YOK-TEBIP?
Within the scope of YOK-TEBIP, we prepared a special curriculum for students who will study in fundamental science programs in honors classes. The courses will differ from student to student.
For example, students who will study biology will take "From Molecules to Cells", "Augmented Mechanics", "Chemistry" and "Brain Science" in the first year. Students who will study physics will take "Augmented Mechanics", "Chemistry", "Biology" and "Brain Science" in the first year. Students who will study chemistry will take "Augmented Mechanics", "Biology", "Brain Science" and "Magnetism" in the first year. Students who will study mathematics will take "Analytic Geometry", "Augmented Mechanics" and "Brain Science" in the first year.
Students who will be studying in YOK-TEBIP will take an elective course from different fields, departments and faculties (Literature, Social Sciences and Fine Arts) every term. Starting from the third term, they will take at least one elective course from a different field of fundamental science every term.
- Will students who were placed in YOK-TEBIP continue to receive the CoHE scholarship?
Yes. Even though these students are receiving the Fundamental Science Scholarship, the amount of this scholarship will soon be increased for students enrolled in these classes. Students can also receive scholarships from KYK.
- Are there any other opportunities offered to the students who are placed YOK-TEBIP?
In addition to the YOK-TEBIP Scholarships, students will also benefit from the opportunities listed below:
- They can take part in the research projects of faculty members.
- They will be given priority to be supported within the scope of the Mevlana Exchange Program.
- They can study foreign languages in summer schools abroad.
- They will be presented an influential consulting cover letter and a letter or recommendation after the completion of their undergraduate studies and will be guided in the following periods.
- We will try our best to offer accommodation in a dormitory for students who will come from outside of Istanbul.